Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Hold Steady

It's a sad state in the world where good song writing has slowly disappointed. Ever since the beginning of music, it's always told a story. There's a few songs of our modern times that you can sit down and listen to and at the same time form this image in your mind of the story in the song, with characters in full.

Luckily for us, some bands still do that. One of those is the Hold Steady.



The above song, Chips Ahoy, is one of my all time favourite songs. Just the simple melody, the lyrics, the images it never fails to produce in my head, the story of frustration and an organ solo. Amazing.

The Hold Steady always make me thing of being in a bar in a dingy back street of New York, drinking bourbon by yourself. And having the guy at the bar next to you, who's also alone and drinking bourbon, turn around and start telling you his depressing life story. Craig Finn's lyrics and vocal delivery just turn every song into a story.

I missed out on seeing them on Laneway a few years ago (because like every Laneway ever, I only liked the bands after the festival). I'm pissy at myself for it. So with a new tour announced, I'm getting in early and buying tickets and not missing out on what will be an amazing show in one of my favourite and most intimate venues.

March 9, the Zoo. 18+

MySpace

(Oh wow, I was just Googling them, and found out they are signed to Vagrant records. One of my favourite labels for sure, but generally more for their emo/post-hardcore/punk bands. Awesome)

No comments:

Post a Comment