Saturday, October 9, 2010

90's Mixtape #3: Poppier crap

I know it’s not quite your scene, but wasn’t the whole idea of this to expose you to new music? Some of this you will hate, that I can guarantee. But whatever, I like these songs dammit.

1. Diana Ah Naid - I Go Off (3:09)

An Australian one-hit wonder. I still see her touring these days, but I have no idea why. Apart from this song I doubt anyone knows her. But that doesn’t detract from this pissed-off chick with an acoustic guitar song.


2. bis - Action And Drama (Album Version) (2:28)

Thank you. I had forgotten how much I loved Bis until I was going through my 90’s music. This song was on Triple J years ago (they even played Hey Hey It’s Saturday), but they are probably known more for a song no one would put together with them: they wrote the Powerpuff Girls theme song. Remember that cartoon? It’s what is known as twee, which is basically happy pop music.


3. Days Of The New - Touch, Peel And Stand (4:57)

A post-grunge band. This song was huge in the states when I lived there. Post-grunge basically means grunge, but softer. Lots of acoustic guitars.


4. Harvey Danger - Flagpole Sitta (3:38)

For years I thought this was a cover of a 1960’s pop song. But no, it’s a 90’s indie band with a one hit wonder that you just know without ever knowing. If you know what I mean.


5. The Black Heart Procession - A Light So Dim (7:52)

I didn’t know these guys in the 90s. I didn’t know these guys for most of the last decade. I’ve just recently stumbled across them and their moody post-punk style indie. It’s gloomy. I can imagine they wear a lot of leather jackets and play in a lot of dingy bars.


6. The Cardigans - My Favourite Game (3:39)

Sweden is my favourite country by far, they just make some of the best music. Ask one day, I could make you hours upon hours of awesome Swedish mix CDs. This band got popular on a song in the Leonardo Di Caprio Romeo and Juliet Soundtrack. But they also released a lot of better rock songs like this one.


7. Björk - Hyperballad (5:21)

It’s oh so quiettttttttttt. Shhhh. Shhh. This is a more electronic and kind of sweet lyrics song by the crazy Icelander.


8. Blind Melon - No Rain (3:39)

My first year college roommate was obsessed with this band. And to be honest, I’ve still only heard this one song. I think this mix CD is full of one-hit wonders. This was a number 1 for a long time I’m pretty sure.


9. The Bloodhound Gang - I Wish I Was Queer So I Could Get Chicks (3:44)

I actually have this as a CD single I bought when I was a kid. Pure hilariousness.


10. Bruce Springsteen - The Ghost Of Tom Joad (4:27)

Bruce is normally known for his stadium style rock anthems. But this song, is just so quiet and haunting (now that’s a bad pun, but true). It’s another side of the Boss that you just don’t see. That and it’s been covered a lot, so you know it’s a good song.


11. Catch 22 - Dear Sergio (2:33)

It’s ska, but I find it more punk than ska. I actually wish more ska was like this instead of that Reel Big Fish crud.


12. Crash Test Dummies - Afternoons And Coffeespoons (3:54)

Another post-grunge band, best known for their annoying as fuck MMMMM song. You’d know it if you heard it.


13. Cruel Sea - The Honeymoon is Over (3:05)

Australian rock band featuring the very talented Tex Perkins on vocals. He is the voice of rock and blues in Australia in the last 20 years.


14. Everlast - Ends (4:33)

A white boy rapper, he started in a band called House of Pain that had a hit called “Jump Around.” I guess he then learnt how to play a guitar and write some more introspective songs.


15. King Missile - Cheesecake Truck (1:11)

Not really “music” King Missile do comedic spoken word poetry.


16. Lavish - Homosapien (3:00)

Another Triple J 90’s one hit wonder. I think it was in some movie, but I can’t quite remember.


17. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - The Rascal King (2:46)

A bigger ska band from the 90’s, but once again, these guys tended to lean more towards playing punk than ska. This song is actually from the Clueless soundtrack, which is what I was considering burning you instead, because it’s just full of damn good music from the 90s. And is one of my favourite movies.


18. Monster Magnet - Powertrip (3:31)

I thought I had missed my chance seeing these guys live, but it turns out they are yet another band brought from the dead to play at Soundwave next year. They do acid/stoner rock: I guess that means it is slightly nonsensical lyrics with more interesting sounds in their guitars instead of just distortion and heaviness.

Download

No comments:

Post a Comment