Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The death of all ages shows in Brisbane

I was lucky as I spent my formative teenage years in mid western America, where drinking/concert rules were muddled. Bars could hold all-ages shows before 10 pm, but you had to be over 19 to stay in the bar after that. And you had to be 21 to buy alcohol. Very odd laws, but luckily I got to see some great all ages shows and some great bands in awesome little bars, many of who are doing massive stadium tours now.

When I first moved to Brisbane the all-ages scene was great. There were lots of DIY venues in and around the city for bands and most venues were licensed to serve alcohol and have underage children. As time went on and as the "hardcore/scene" kids with their fight dancing rose in numbers I noticed a sharp drop off in all-ages venues. Some of the little ones closed down, including the milk-bar. And then there were two incidents that became the catalyst for the slow death of all ages shows in Brisbane, both at the Arena (my favourite Brisbane venue, now turned into an R'n'B night club).

They happened within days of each other, from memory, but one involved the lead singer of Escape the Fate getting his penis out on stage and playing with himself. Charming. The next one I was present at, which was the Parkway Drive Horizons tour. It was carnage. Fights broke out everywhere. Cops were carrying kids out. Blood and ripped clothing was everywhere. At the end of the show, the kid I was standing behind punched the fire alarm, broke the glass and set of the alarm. As we made our way outside the freaking riot squad was assembling.

Well, that was pretty much the end of the Arena.

Little venues popped up to fill the void, because let's face it, the kids love their music. And when it comes to hardcore especially, the kids will always turn up to shows. A few venues took in the slack. The Princess Theatre did a lot. But it's main money was always in Sunday morning church revivals/services. When one show too many went insane, that was the end of that. I have a feeling I was present at the last show there too. Amity Affliction/Deez Nuts/Daylight Curse. I remember naked kids running around covered in blood. I was just standing back petrified. It's not what I go to shows for.

Two venues recently have tried their best to fill the void. And both have done amazing jobs. The Fort in Fortitude Valley and Burst City in South Brisbane. Burst City is amazing. It's an old RSL hall and it hosted one of (if not #1) my favourite shows of the year: Dangers and Graf Orlock.


(Edit: Thanks to the wonderful Ellie, I found out I made a mistake. This picture is actually from the Red Rattler Room show in Sydney, and as always taken by the talented JHat. It looks very similar to Burst City though. And I'm at work now and can't be bothered changing it).

But now we are losing Burst City. Apparently it's up for sale and it's last show will be in January. Which makes it's second last show one of my most anticapated shows of 2011: La Dispute. So get in kids while you can, and enjoy this great venue. Also, for you over 18's, it's BYO. Yes. You can show up to a hardcore show with as many tallies as you desire.

Next Saturday is a great show as well. Get in there and see some great local hardcore bands, raising money for a good cause. The Friday also sees America's Heavy Heavy Low Low play there on their last tour.

Come January 29th, it's the last show. Bands playing include:
Teargas (Thrash Thrash Thrash)
No Anchor (Death to those who wait)
Loose Grip (Noise not music)
Thick Skin (Positive negativity)
Last Chaos (Final Bloodbath)

Facebook Event page here.

So get out there and enjoy Burst City while you can. Before you know it, there won't be any all-ages venues left in Brisbane and you'll lose the passion and fun that comes with these shows.

3 comments:

  1. It's happened... We have also lost The Fort

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, sad. I walked by it today and hung my head in sadness

    ReplyDelete
  3. we've lost pretty much all of them now...

    ReplyDelete