Sunday, December 19, 2010

Finch

Continuing on my run of emo-bands from my teenage years, it's time to talk about Finch. At about the same time as Taking Back Sunday, they released the album What It Is To Burn, featuring a mix of emo, alternative rock and post-hardcore. I dug it hard.



They had a few acoustic songs that my friends and I always used to mimic in our jam sessions. As I write this I'm listening to a demo Kenny and I recorded... Halfway through, we start yelling about ducks. Good times.

After What It Is To Burn we waited for what seemed like an eternity. The band kind of disappeared. And then they came back with a single track to the Underworld soundtrack. It went a lot heavier than their earlier work and showed an interesting twist, which came to fruition with their second album, Say Hello to Sunshine. This album, although alienating a lot of fans, has now become one of my all time favourites. It's amazing.

They then broke up and disappeared. Only to reappear with a disappointing EP and a spot on the Soundwave Festival in 2009. I was lucky enough to see them twice on that tour and was just blown away. There was hope for them in the future! They were recording again! Demos existed!

But then, this week, the end. They announced they were done. Differences of opinions. No longer able to collaborate together. Which is sad, because they left us two finished songs. And they are awesome. You can get them here.

I'm going to go listen to Say Hello to Sunshine now and be all sad in my room while clutching my Finch drumstick.

No comments:

Post a Comment