Sunday, July 18, 2010

More news

My weekend in Melbourne was amazing. I could live there, but then I would be broke and tired because I would just go to every sports event and live music event I could find. But in the Brisbane music world, here's a few news pieces:

Amity Affliction tour (again)

Brisbane/Gympie's favourite post-hardcore sons have announced another tour, mere days after playing two packed shows at the HiFi with Misery Signals. It's not the usual venues, but it sees them playing some places that normally don't get much in the way of shows. I'll probably hit up Fitzys (I know a few people that work there) but I won't get excited until I see who their supports are.

Thursday September 2nd - High School, Byron Bay (AA)
Friday September 3rd - Albert Waterways, Gold Coast (AA)
Saturday September 4th - PCYC, Gladstone (AA)
Sunday September 5th - QRI Hall, Rockhampton (AA)
Wednesday September 8th - Fitzys MBar Loganholme, Logan City (18+)

MySpace

Chemical Brothers tour

This British duo has been putting out some amazing electronic music as long as I can remember, as well as one of the most annoying songs of the decade in the Salmon Dance. Their new album is less dance music and has more of a post-rock and ambient feel to it. And I really like it.

And apparently they will be playing the Riverstage March 4 next year. A great venue for a great band.

MySpace

Poison the Well (sad news)

Poison the Well have been one of the most innovative and leading hardcore bands over the course of the last 13 years. Their early albums, especially the Opposite of December, was some of the heaviest music I had ever heard at the time, even with their continual use of the splash through the album. As their albums came and went, they kept changing, with their last two albums (the Tropic Rot and the amazing album that is Versions) they've now honed in on an almost country-hardcore sound. There is nothing else like it.

And apparently there may be nothing else like it for a while. As of last week, they are now on indefinite hiatus. I was lucky enough to see them 3 or 4 times last year. I just hope it's not the last time I'll see them and that when they have a rest and get back together they will come up with an amazing new chapter in this iconic band's history.

MySpace

No comments:

Post a Comment