Saturday, July 9, 2011

Monster Magnet

Following on from the last post, I thought I'd keep the good stoner/doom music tours coming your way. This one is a band I've been a fan of since the 90s as an awkward pre-teen, but only just saw this year for the first time at Soundwave.

It's Monster Magnet.



They felt a bit out of place in the middle of a summer day on a stage with mainly "popular" "core" bands, but to me, they were one of the highlights of the day. Perfect for relaxing in the shade and just letting the music wash over you.

This year they've decided to play one of their classic albums, Dopes to Inifity, in full. Their lead singer explains:
When I wrote ‘Dopes…’ in 1995 I envisioned a hard-rock, tripped-out journey exploring the many sounds and styles of the great psychedelic era of 1968-1974. I carefully sequenced the album to take the listener on a roller-coaster ride of engaging words and music. I sang songs of love, hate, lust, joy and desperation in a style I hoped would fire the listener’s imagination, bringing the everyday emotions that we all share to mythical heights. Thankfully, the fans and critics told me I succeeded. Now I’d like to bring that experience to the stage. ‘Dopes To Infinity’: Live! In it’s entirety. A complete trip from beginning to end. I can’t wait!
September 17 at the HiFi. 18+

No comments:

Post a Comment