Thursday, July 14, 2011

Free Music Friday 24!

Bandcamp.
Is there a better website for discovering new music? I think not.
You can get free albums, unlike MySpace where you have to stream one song at a time.
You can download the whole album and keep it. Once again, MySpace streams.
You can buy it directly from the band if you like their shit.

If it wasn't for Bandcamp, I wouldn't have done Free Music Friday. About 70% of this stuff comes direct from Bandcamp. And it's generally some random band that has absolutely no info and I have no idea how I stumbled onto it.

Which brings us around full circle to this Free Music Friday. It's a band called Step Dads. And the only picture I could find is from their Facebook.

There is apparently a very attractive female in this band, according to the picture. Which of course means I like them a lot already.

But in a non-sexist way, I decided I liked this band way before I knew that. You see, they are that noisy type of post-hardcore that I love. Post-hardcore to most of the young generation is just synth/breakdowns/bad-core music (think Bring Me The Horizon etc), so it always irks me that the old/good style of post-hardcore is lost. That's another rant for another day though.

The last few weeks I've been blasting a lot of the Black Powder and Black Eyes and really any of that good old-style of Dischord records style of music. Also the amazing Arms Exploding album that someone over at Phatry Records was nice enough to package for free in a vinyl order for me. Basically old-school amazing post-hardcore. And it's made me so nostalgic that I've also been blaring a lot of At the Drive-In. The point is, I've fallen back in love with the more "classic" style of post-hardcore, especially the times when it just disintegrates into a very noisy-style.

Step Dads are that style. I wish I knew more about them, but so far apart from their Facebook and Bandcamp, I've seen nothing. Except they're from Indiana. Go the midwest! (my old stomping grounds).

Over on their Bandcamp, you can get their EP for absolutely free
. Chuck it a listen if you like the sound of anything I've mentioned so far this blog post, or you just want some excellent, noisy and slightly chaotic music.

They also have a song called Legos. I basically want to be in this band.

No comments:

Post a Comment