Sunday, May 22, 2011

Fucked Up

One of my favourite bands of recent years, and one of my favourite live music moments of this year, is the band Fucked Up. Over the years they've taken their early hardcore roots and shaped it into some beautiful and thought-provoking music, while slowly moving away from hardcore.

Next month, they release their new album, David Comes to Life. I never though it'd be possible to top their 2008 masterpiece The Chemistry of Modern Life but I think they may with David Comes to Life. It centres around a character David, which in essence makes this a concept album. On first listen, it's a slight departure from their hardcore roots, but as always, the music is beautifully layered and complex.

I'm not going to post a review of it now, because it's official release date is June 7 and this is one of these albums I'm going to listen to over and over again before forming any sort of opinion. Instead, here's a mini-documentary about Fucked Up that you should watch. It explains the band's history, the band's direction and everything that defines them. It also explains their new album somewhat.



The part that depresses me the most is that they mention it will be their end game. That this album is everything Fucked Up has been evolving to in 10 years. Honestly, this depresses me. I would hate to see this iconic and unique band disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment