Thursday, May 5, 2011

Aussie Indie Madness!

So I've noticed lately 2 things:
  1. The HiFi has changed ticket providers from OzTix to Moshtix. This blows monkey balls. Moshtix make it ridiculously hard to do tickets (proof of ID, all on the same entry, web only) and charge high ticketing fees. Also, they don't do paper tickets. So no longer do I get the thrill of going to my local record store, buying an actual ticket, going to the gig, and putting the ticket in my collection. I have hundreds of tickets chronicling my entire lifetime of music (hence the background of the blog).
  2. Australian indie is on the rise again.
I'll address the second point, as I noticed it after discovering the first point. There's a shit tonne of Aussie indie tours coming up, and a lot of them are upgrading from the smaller venues we've been used to over the years (mainly at the Zoo or even Rics). In fact, a lot are coming through the HiFi right now. Like the following I found while looking for Get Up Kids tickets the other day:
  • Gypsy and the Cat, May 14
  • Architecture in Helsinki, May 27
  • Hungry Kids of Hungary, May 28
  • Jebediah, June 3
  • Boy and Bear, June 4
  • Little Red, June 18
  • The Grates, July 1
In slightly over a month, there's 7 Australian bands touring, most of which I'd only expect to play the Zoo or similar. Good for them. Expect hipsters en masse at all of these shows.

Of course they are all 18+, and most of them are less than $30. Should be good fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment