Sunday, March 6, 2011

I'm back, here's the news

After a great week spent rocking out in freezing cold Melbourne, I'm back with a musical todo list the size of Peter North's tackle. I went to shows, I drank a bit, ate some good food, met some friends, did some shopping and took pictures. I'll try and blog/share some of the shows information later on, but for now, here's the news that I missed:

Rise Against/Sick of it All/Break Even tour
Rise Against used to be one of my favourite punk-bands. Then they released the album Appeal to Reason. Sick of it All are one of the best NY hardcore bands ever. EVER. Yet they only ever come to Australia as opening bands for other internationals. And Break Even are swell dudes from Gero. Put them together, we have a great tour. I hope.

July 18, Entertainment Centre

I have a few problems with this tour. First, the price? $70. Second, the Entertainment Centre is a crap venue, especially for hardcore/punk. Third, I'd really only be going for Sick of it All, unless Rise Against's new album is a return to form.

Frank Turner
He was one quarter of number 5 in my 2010 best of gigs list, but now the hardcore-turned-acoustic Frank Turner is coming out for a solo tour. He'll be playing Thriller at Rosies on April 16. 18+ of course, and it may be worthwhile buying tickets in advance.

Frenzal Rhomb
They must be broke again, because it's been about a year since their last tour. May 6 at Coolangatta Hotel, May 7 at the HiFi. Both shows 18+ and will be full of drunken revelry and swear words.

Swans cancel
It was one of the highlights of my post-holiday 3-gig week, wrapping it all up in a noisy swath of post-punk bliss. But now it's been cancelled. The Swans gig for Friday at the HiFi is canned. It's the only show in Australia not happening and they've given no reason why. I guess I will never get to see them then.

The Wombats get another go
The Wombats are in the country for Groovin' the Moo, and they've already got one night slated for a Brisbane show. Apparently it's a popular thing, as they've announced a second, all-ages show on May 5 at the Tivoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment