Friday, March 18, 2011

The Mercy Beat

A few weeks ago I went to an excellent flood fundraiser gig, featuring an excellent selection of overseas bands. Originally Terror was supposed to play, but they had issues with flights and schedules, so the last minute replacement band was a local: The Mercy Beat.

I was impressed with them, so I checked them out afterwards. Last year they put out an album, How to Shampoo a Yak, apparently launching it to an almost packed Zoo crowd. I wish I was there, because they are balls to the wall, slap in the face, chugg a jug of beer rock.

The Mercy Beat seem to come from a school of hard rock. Their album starts with a a 1 minute track called Eagle Throws Goat Off Cliff. It starts with a build up like a rock album, but then the vocals kick in with a hardcore-punk edge. Towards the end there's even a punk hand clap thrown in for good measure.

From that point the album seemlessly merges old-school hard rock, punk, hardcore. There's even a bluesy little number (the Mercy Blues) and a two minute metal instrumental song, with the same name as the album, that shows they grew up playing Metallica riffs.

I always gush over the Brisbane music scene, and the Mercy Beat are another fine example. I just wish I hadn't been so late on the bandwagon. You can get some of their songs for free off of their Triple J Unearthed page, including the awesome opening track Eagle Throws Goat Off Cliff.

1 comment: