Saturday, March 19, 2011

日本!

As most of you probably don't know, I'm a huge Japan-o-phile. I studied the language for 7 years, went to a Japanese run high-school as the token Australian student for 2 years and my best and oldest mate lives there. Mere metres away from the ocean in Odaiba.

Everything about Japan is cool, even the construction signs:

When I heard about the earthquake/tsunami, I was a mess. I'd only seen Nick a few weeks before when he came to Wet n Wild for my birthday, but since then he'd gone back to Japan. The next day was crazy as I tried to text and call him, but then he finally sent me an email (of all things) that he was fine and at Starbucks getting coffee. Only in Japan...

But it made me think. Only a few months ago I was in the Brisbane floods and thought that was the end of the world. In the grand scheme of natural disasters in the last 6 months, I got off the most light. I am lucky. Japan, not lucky at all.

I wanted to do my part, and I was looking for a way to donate. Then I stumbled open this: VS. The Earthquake. It's a mix album of rare/B-Sides recorded by some awesome bands, with the profits going to relief in Japan. So not only am I helping, I am getting some kick ass music from bands such as The Swellers, The Wonder Years, Transit, Daytrader, Such Gold and Title Fight. But the best part? There's a live recording of my favourite La Dispute song at the gig I was at. Unfortunately you can't really hear me sing. Well, that's fortunate for you all.

So do your bit, even if it's just getting this album. It's great music for a great cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment