Thursday, September 9, 2010

Smashing Pumpkins tour

This is one of my all time favourite albums:


So much so that I've got the double-gate fold 180 gram vinyl. Delicious. So you think I'd be excited by today's news.

Smashing Pumpkins, the Tivoli, October 17.

But I'm not. I saw them at V Fest a few years back, with Billy in his full on space kilt outfit (wish I could find a picture). Sure they played the main hit songs and had a few good jams. Including this one, which was the highlight of the show, when the Presets were playing over the top of him before an encore:



But apart from that, it lacked character. And it lacked the Smashing Pumpkins: Jimmy, James, D'arcy (or even Melissa Auf Der Mar).

I can imagine this gig will be another one of those "pay through your teeth to see a band you loved ten years ago" tour (ala any band of my childhood still touring). They sure know that the best way to make a buck is to invoke your memories of the past.

Edit: Same night as Baroness. I know where I'll be

No comments:

Post a Comment