Saturday, September 25, 2010

My Disco

On this day a year ago (whoa, freaky coincidence) I had one of the most memorable music moments of my life. I was at the Sounds of Spring festival watching a bunch of great Australian bands strut their stuff. As the night came to a close, everyone was off at the main stage watching the Butterfly Effect or the Hilltop Hoods or some other mainstream act, but I went to one of the side stages hidden up a little alley at the RNA showgrounds to check out a band I had never seen before. And what happened next was as religious of an experience as I will ever have.


There was only about 20 of us gathered around this stage as My Disco came on to close the stage. I'd heard a lot of buzz about this band, but knew very little. What came next was enough to put me into an almost hypnotic state of pure music ectasy as I watch them play in what seemed like a time warp. I didn't shut up talking about the band for months after that, it impressed me so much.

Their music isn't easy to get in to, that's for sure. It's what you would probably call minimalistic art-rock. The three members work together to make some very beautifully crafted songs; music is built on layers of repetitive rhythms, whether from the bass, the drums, the guitar or the lyrics. It's truly something to behold, and something you just don't see in music since the very early post-punk days of the 70s.

They've spent a lot of time lately touring and recording in the US and Europe, probably because people their actually get their music better than most punters here. However, they'll be returning in the next few months to their home with a new album and a new tour. You can catch them do their art-rock at the Zoo on November 27th.

MySpace

No comments:

Post a Comment