Monday, April 11, 2011

Review: Defeater/Fires of Waco (The Alley AA and Thriller 18+), April 8/9, 2011

This review will cover two days and be simple, because... well, I got drunk this weekend. So it's been a bit since taking these photos and remembering what happened.

Fires of Waco. One of my favourite local bands. Always put on a tight show, even now they've dropped the crowd-pleasing At the Drive-In cover. More power to them though, they're starting to swell with popularity.

But the reason I went to the same show 2 days in a row was simply for Defeater. This year's album, Empty Days and Sleepless Nights, is one of my favourite albums of the year. Not just hardcore, but in general. So when they trooped down to our country, I just had to see them two days in a row. And what followed was one of the best gigs I've ever been to, and one of the worst.

The best was the Friday night all-ages show at the Alley. Earlier in the week it was announced the Alley is being shutdown to build a tax-office there (boo! HISS! RIOT! COMPLAIN!) So this was the second last show ever to be held there. And I'd hate to be the last show following up this penultimate one. Just amazing.

Hardcore kids love their music. Especially when they can go to all-ages. The lead singer walked out with his acoustic, sang the song I Don't Mind, put his guitar away... and then all hell broke loose.
The tiny venue, with the band playing on the floor, just couldn't with hold the energy the crowd put out to Defeater. They just rushed in, danced, jumped off speakers and left nothing behind.





The crowd was crazy, except for Jacob. That's him above, standing in the back, kind of looking away.

It was insane. The crowd disrupted every song, but it didn't matter. The guitarists played above the crowd. Something I haven't seen since my all-ages gig days.

And the Saturday night Thriller gig was the complete opposite. I don't know if the lead-singer had lost his voice, but he spent most of the time giving the microphone to the crowd to sing. We hardly heard him, which really just ruined it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment