Friday, April 22, 2011

Free Music Friday 17!

Today's Free Music Friday only fell into my lap at the last second the other day, when my mate made a comment to me about this band.

They are local, I've seen them play before and they go by the name of Ironhide.


They are made up of a bunch of dudes that are generally in a bunch of other bands, or just guys you see around any Brisbane gig you go to.

Ironhide play a technical metal, somewhat in the same style of Protest the Hero or Between the Buried and Me. But they mix it up by having two lead vocalists, both with excellent metal ability. One does a very deep metal growl, while the other has a slightly higher thrash style. Put together, it works excellently.

They've recorded a debut album and released it. When I first was told this, my initial reaction was "eh, it'd be a crappy mix like most local bands." But my god, this has to be one of the best produced albums I've ever heard by a local band. They apparently sent it off to Umea in Sweden to be mastered by the pros that helped shaped Refused. And it showed.

Create/Collapse/Repeat is just a superb debut metal album. I was blown away by it. It's available on their bandcamp on a free/donate style, with a few limited edition vinyl options as well. You can pick it up here. Although I picked it up for free, I'm going to go back and probably at least get one of the vinyl options. It's that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment