Friday, February 25, 2011

Free Music Friday 11!

I thought I'd give you all some free music before I officially start these holiday shenanigans. And today's free music comes from a band that randomly added me on Twitter. Now normally when someone adds me on Twitter I just presume it's spam and ignore it completely. But this profile had a little spark to their description which initially attracted my attention.

First off, they are from Madison Wisconsin, one of my favourite party locations in the world. Second, they play noise rock. And if you follow this blog at all, you'll know that I have a weakness for the world of noise rock.

They are, the United Sons of Toil.

They've got a new album ready to come out soon, but you can currently get their 2008 album Until Lions Have Their Historians, Tales of the Hunt Shall Always Glorify the Hunter. A mouthful, huh? I recently did the one sentence review treatment of it:
The United Sons of Toil (2008):this is what happens when 90s midwest-emo-loving kids grow up, get angry & discover feedback & distortion 4/5
As I mentioned, the best way to describe their sound is of a band that grew up on 90's emo/math-rock (the likes of Texas is the Reason and Sunny Day Real Estate) but also liked their noise and hardcore (I detect a definite Helmet sound floating in their music). They mixed it all up, let it marinated for a decade or so, and then created this band.

Their album of the ridiculously long name is available on their Bandcamp, for the low cost of "name-your-price". Check it out, and if you like it like I do, throw a few dollars and wait for their next album out in the next few months.

Bandcamp

1 comment:

  1. Not such a random add. We like noise rock, you like noise rock. Match made in heaven.

    ReplyDelete