Friday, September 23, 2011

Rob: a mixtape

The blog's been even quieter of late, but this time it's for a reason. A very sad reason. Rob, a long-time blog reader who's greatest complaint to me was "you post too much, I can't keep up. Just tell me the good parts" passed away in a skiing accident last week.

Not only was he a blog reader: he was a close friend, one of the first people I met at university, and he also slept mere metres from me as he was my housemate. Not as close as this picture... which sees me passed out at a friend's 21st.



Rob had a varied taste in music, almost as much as mine. We went to a tonne of concerts together: Presidents of the USA, Tool, Rage Against the Machine, Get Up Kids (a few weeks ago), Mars Volta, and many more than I can remember. We were even going to go to Dropkick Murphys/Lucero in the next few weeks.

So for some odd reason, it fell on me and a few close friends to pick out the music for his memorial. It was tough to shortlist it all down, but we finally put together a mix tape for him. RIP Captain.

1. Audioslave - I Am the Highway

As I helped clean out his room the other day, I found tickets for Chris Cornell in a few weeks. He was a huge Soundgarden and Rage Against the Machine fan, so this song combined both perfectly (and with that little bit of sombre edge too).

2. Incubus - Wish You Were Here

Well... we do Rob.

3. Pearl Jam - Black

If you get the feeling that Rob liked his 90's alternative rock bands... well you'd be right. And this song is just bloody sad. I can't hear it now without getting a little teary.

4. Rage Against the Machine - Beautiful World

Rob was a huge Rage fan. I remember going with him to the Big Day Out to see this band. The gates to the D were closing early and it was a crush to get in... Unfortunately I was the only one to get in at the time. Tim and Rob had to sit on the outside and watch it. I still kind of rubbed that in to him every now and then. As for this song, it is a Devo cover, but the only really soft song Rage have.

5. The Mars Volta - Televators

One of the first (if not the first) gigs I went to with Rob was the Mars Volta at the Arena. 3 hours of the Mars Volta. I had a swollen head and had just gotten out of the emergency room, but dammit, nothing was going to stop us. We saw the Mars Volta a few times together over the years.

6. The Roots - Don't Feel Right

This was a recent addition to Rob's musical collection. Only this year did he start listening to rap music, I think from the suggestion of his workmates. He borrowed my Roots CDs and apparently this was one of his favourite songs.

7. The B-52's - Rock Lobster

As long as we were going to pubs, we'd always put this song on. And drink during the "down, down, down" part.

8. Frank Sinatra - Come Fly With Me

Rob was a huge "Frankie" fan (as he would say). He would always ask for Frank Sinatra to be put on when I was digging through my vinyl. And of course, the Captain was a pilot. So this song is doubly fitting.

9. Queen (ft. David Bowie) - Under Pressure

Not much can be said of this song. It's another one we always put on the jukebox.

10. Sarah Blasko - Always Worth It

Amongst us, Rob will forever be known for his love of female singer-songwriters. I am not sure, but I have a feeling Sarah Blasko really started it for him. He loved her music.

11. Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song

Another of that great era of 90's bands he loved.

12. Bjork - Hyperballad

His love of female singer-songwriters had nothing on his love of Bjork. I struggle to understand her at the best of times, but I was with him when he finally saw her and her magnificent stage act.

13. David Bowie - Starman

I couldn't help but sneak another Bowie song in. Although it's about flying to the stars, it can still apply to our favourite pilot.

14. Muse - Feeling Good

One of the modern bands Rob loved was Muse and I was also lucky enough to see Muse with him. A lot of their "space jams" aren't too appropriate, but this cover is.

Rob, there was hundred more songs I wanted to put on here, but I hope this does you some justice mate. Miss you already. RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment