Thursday, September 29, 2011

Incubus

The second concert I ever went to. The first band t-shirt I ever bought. Formed a band based on mutual love of them. Own every CD. One of the big motivators to buy a bass guitar. Incubus is one of those few bands that have been there through my entire life.

And it's not hard to see why. They are a good music factory. Churning it out for over a decade.


Starting as funk metal (dear to my heart at that young age) they were one of those few bands that matured on each album, trying new things and actually succeeding with it most times. Although their departure from the faster and funkier sounds towards a more alternative/indie sound didn't strike the same chord with me, they still put out music I enjoyed. I kept buying their albums. They lost Dirk (the bass player) and I was heartbroken. I thought there'd be no more funk. But then they brought in Ben (from the Roots) who added his own style and continued their growth.

I've only seen them twice, which given my concert frequency and time I've been in love with this band, is quite sad. But they are finally coming back out to Australia, almost 4 years since they last came out.

February 10th, Convention Centre.

Be there to watch girls my age swoon, as Brendan Boyd will undoubtedly take his shirt off at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment