Monday, January 17, 2011

Brisbane Sidewaves

So the best part of the Soundwave music festival is generally what they call "sidewaves". That is, the sideshows where a bunch of international bands get together and play longer sets in smaller venues. My favourite gig of all time was one (back when I made that list ages ago). Normally only Sydney and Melbourne get them, but this year Brisbane is getting a few. Unfortunately, it's the same time I am in Melbourne watching a few. Bad timing, but oh well. I thought I'd share them with you.

First up, is one of the greatest modern rock guitarists of all time. This guy (in the hate, not the redneck ginger).



Yes. Slash. Who's recent solo album is bloody tops. He will be playing a gig with prog-rockers Coheed and Cambria and a Las Vegas band that grew up on Slash's music: Taking Dawn. An interesting gig, but given how quickly Slash's last tour sold (and the lack of Coheed after cancelling an earlier tour) you'd best get in quick on this tour. March 2, Tivoli, 18+ and tickets go on sale tomorrow.

The next one is a gig I really, really want to see. But can't. It features metal band High on Fire, thrash/hardcore legends Trash Talk and new sludge-metal band Kylesa. I only just got into Trash Talk and Kylesa, but whoa. They are just amazing. This one is happening March 1 at the HiFi. 18+

I'm sad I'll be in Melbourne for these, I wish they'd put them before the festival, which makes sense, instead of them travelling back from Sydney. Especially since I outlayed the cash and timeoff to go to Melbourne to see a few sideshows...

EDIT: A final bit of Soundwave related news, the Blackout, who are also playing Soundwave, will put up a free track from their new album on their website on January 24.

No comments:

Post a Comment