Monday, February 20, 2012

Excellent gigs that got announced in the last 2 weeks since I last blogged.

So I'm putting them in a big blog post all together. Most of it's heavy, but I'll start with the quiet one:

Ben Kweller
No idea how this slipped by me, but Ben Kweller is touring here. In less than 3 weeks. I've seen him 2 times now and he's always enjoyable, especially with his band in tow.

March 4, The HiFi (18+)

August Burns Red
When I was young and impressionable (and worshipped I Killed the Prom Queen) I loved the genre "metalcore". And one of the few bands that I still occasionally listen to is August Burns Red. Not sure why, but I think it may because the vocals are understandable and more hardcore punk style.

April 18, the HiFi (18+)

Supported by Blessthefall and Northlane, who are both "buzz" bands that I know nothing about at all. Not one thing. I should probably be a good music blogger and research it one day.

Amon Amarth
Hands up who doesn't like some fantasy themed viking metal? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? That's right. It's fucking awesome. The music isn't always the best metal you've heard, but the show more than makes up for it.


They're also Swedish, which is home to the best bands ever. Including Abba.

April 13, the HiFi (18+)

Anchor
While on the subject of Sweden, suss out Anchor. They're Swedish hardcore, singing English. Which in my mind, is the best kind of hardcore.

Feb 29, YAC, Byron Bay (all-ages)
Mar 1, Basement 243 (18+)
Mar 2, Between the Walls (all-ages)
Mar 3, Miami Shark Bar, Gold Coast (18+)
Mar 4, Buderim CWA Hall, Sunshine Coast (all-ages)

Evanescence\Blaqk Audio
One of my best friends was in love with Evanescence. Whenever I'd pass out on his couch it would be to him looping one of their albums (and I'd wake up to the same songs). He also made his own giant posters of Amy Lee and put them up all over. Heck, he even had their song played at his funeral.
The female-fronted nu-metal band obviously now holds a very special place in my heart. Even if I wasn't a big fan of theirs to start with. I was surprised to hear they were touring, as I had not heard anything from them for about 5 years!

Announced as their supports is Blaqk Audio. I know a lot of people that are more excited by this than Evanescence. In fact, these people are just going for the opening act. Who is Blaqk Audio? Well, it's an electronic act fronted by Davey Havok, the lead singer of AFI. Scene girls everywhere will be weeping for him before Evanescence even gets anywhere near the stage.

March 26, Convention Centre (all-ages)

Dead to Me/Cobra Skulls
I love how each year we tend to get a double-header punk tour, both Fat Wreck Chords bands. This year the tradition continues with Dead to Me and Cobra Skulls. These two punk bands will be playing a Brisbane show with some great local punk including Army of Champions and Headaches.

April 8, Basement 243 (18+)

Adam Ant
A lot of the fans of the other bands on this page will not know this last gig at all, but people like me rooted in the 80's will recognize the drum sticks at the start of this song:

Apparently Adam dropped the ants and became an actor but now he's reformed with a different band, writing new music and touring big shows in the UK! And here.

April 8, Tivoli

No comments:

Post a Comment