Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Rockinghorse: a rant

I was going to write a rant about Rockinghorse Records going out of business. But Tom, a guy who I won an award for taking a picture of at a pub watching punk bands, did it far more eloquently than me.

Read it here.

That store has been the only place I've bought music from in the last 4 years, with the sometimes exception of Kill The Music for my hardcore tastes.

Rockinghorse is also where I go to get my concert tickets. Well I used to, as now most places (FUCK YOU MOSHTIX) don't do physical tickets. Not even when I want to pay more for it.

I'm going to miss the fuck out of Rockinghorse if it goes. Every few weeks at lunch I head down and buy a vinyl or two. But with it's demise we shouldn't just be mourning the death of a Brisbane icon, we should be mourning the death of the music industry. When an iconic store like this goes down, it's a sign of an industry that just can't keep up with the times. Tom says it better, but as the owner said in the Courier Mail (kind of paraphrased here) "if we could just sell vinyl we'd stay in business." For average every day consumers, CDs are a dead format. The industry really needs a swift kick up it's behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment