Thursday, June 23, 2011

Quite frankly my dear, it's a pop festival

Brisbane Festival: It's not just fireworks and F111s flying overhead (especially not since the planes got retired) but it's a month of amazing culture in Brisbane. A part of it this year that is more to the tastes of the music blogger in myself is the Frankly! It's A Pop Festival festival.

Now I'll be upfront, I've never listened to any of these bands. Not once. But LA Vampires and Wet Hair have been on my to-listen-to list for a long time. Oh wait, I lied, Wet Hair is actually coming up next on my playlist!

But that doesn't bother me, because this is what Brisbane Festival is all about, getting out there and experiencing all different forms of art and culture that most Brisbanites don't even know exist. That, and it's curated by Lawrence English. He used to work in the same building as the girl and I have been to a few of the music events he has curated. He works hard to bring out interesting music talent and he's yet to let me down.

So come September 10th, head down to the Powerhouse and experience some enjoyable pop-music. It's just not the kind of pop-music that bad FM radio stations play.

More of the Brisbane Festival will be announced over the next month or two.

EDIT: I just listened to Wet Hair. Wow, lofi psychedelic noise rock, and apparently they're from Iowa City. My old stomping grounds. I'm actually more than a little excited for this festival now.

No comments:

Post a Comment