Saturday, June 18, 2011

Hardcore dancers: a rant

It seems I've been ranting a lot lately, probably because of me being an old jaded man. But as I sit here, 16 hours later, with a swollen face, a black eye and a ringing headache that hasn't fucking quit since last night, I figured this rant is allowed.

Hardcore dancers, fight dancers, mosh lords, whatever you want to call yourselves, show a little respect for your fellow punters please.

I say it a lot, hardcore and punk fans are some of the best in the world. No matter what, there'll always be a few people dancing and really getting into the music. It's great to see people feel something at a gig and be motivated enough to move around. I've got nothing against your dancing. I think it's hilarious to watch and bloody stupid to participate in, but you know what, I don't care. Enjoy yourselves. That's what we're supposed to be doing at a gig.

I'll move aside, I'll give you room. However, when you impede on other's people's private space and start involving and trying to hit people who are actively avoiding it, then you become nothing more than a dickhead.

Swinging fists, flying feet, it's ridiculous to think it's going to do anything but cause damage if it connects with someone.

Last night I saw Cruel Hand/Phantoms at Sun Distortion Studio. It was a great show. As expected, during Phantoms, the pit opened up. Well as much as it can in a room with only about 5 metres width. No problems, I got out of the way. I took the animations you see in this rant now. It was all fine, you only involved those that wanted in (although my camera, and JHat's too, seemed to get close to getting hit a few times).

But during Cruel Hand, that's when shit turned nasty. I was pushed right up next to the merch desk, leaning against the wall. It's as far away as I could get in that corner. Not an ideal place to take photos, but I would think out of the way, as there were a few people in front of me. Oh, how wrong I was. A few songs in and you assholes decided to push everyone out of the way and go wall-to-wall. Next thing I know, a fist comes flying across my face, hitting me hard. I went down. I was groggy. I had no idea where I was for a few seconds.

I couldn't get away, I was just trying to watch the band and take a few photos out of your way, and you had to come at me. I ended up with a bloody nose, a black eye, a swollen face and a fucking headache that won't quit. That's what I get for trying to stay out of the way and enjoy a show. You probably don't realize that you did it to me, but it happens a lot.

A couple years ago I was sitting at the back of a crowd at the Big Day Out watching Enter Shikari. Nowhere near the pit, probably 30 to 40 metres back just standing around. The next thing I know, a crowd surfer lands on my head, and as I stand up some asshole fight-dancer swings his fists right into my gentleman's area. The rest of the day was a blur. I was out of it completely. According to someone that saw me afterwards, I was just sitting on the edge of the highway looking lost and confused after the festival.

So seriously, if you're going to fight dance, at least keep it to yourselves. We give you room and don't chastise you, why can't you show the equal respect and do it back?!

No comments:

Post a Comment