Monday, June 27, 2011

Review: Phantoms/Cruel Hand, Sun Distortion Studios, June 17 2011

I was pretty damn excited for this gig and I was hoping to write a proper review of the whole thing. But due to getting hit on the head, I don't remember much of the Cruel Hand set. So instead, here's some photos.

Phantoms:


I had just gotten a new lens the day before, hopefully with the ability to take better quality low light pictures. Unfortunately, Sun Distortion being what it is, the bands were only illuminated by about 2 fluorescent tubes on the roof. Trying to take reasonably good photos in there without a flash is nigh on impossible. My new flash arrived two days later, too late for me unfortunately. So most of these pictures aren't amazing, but it's all just practice for me anyway.


Whenever Phantoms/I Exist plays, this guy always shows up. He's one of the kids that are always great to watch at these punk shows (except for that Browning St Studios gig where he was near to naked the whole time). Phantoms let him sing along for a while:

Cruel Hand warming up:

This shot, taken on the new lens, is by far one of my favourite pictures I've taken yet. With a little bit more practice with the lens hopefully they all work out like this!

I was pushed against the wall at this point trying to stay out of the way. Fat lot of luck that did me. I had to take the pictures over the heads of everyone at my maximum zoom. So not many turned out. In the end I turned on the internal flash. As shite as it is, a few photos turned out okay and not overly exposed.

The singer has a Dinosaur Jr shirt. He's instantly my favourite person.


And it's really not a hardcore show unless Jacob randomly appears in one of my photos hanging out right next to the band. Every bloody time man.


I liked this photo, but with no flash it was horrible quality. Nothing a bit of sepia can't fix, right?


Apart from the injury it was a great gig. I do love small all-ages shows, and Sun Distortion Studios is looking to be a worthy replacement for Burst City.

No comments:

Post a Comment