Sunday, June 19, 2011

Parklife!

Parklife is one of those yearly kind-of-dance music festivals that I avoid with a passion. Years gone by it would be full of neon-wearing teenie boppers dropping E and generally just annoying the heck out of me with bad music that I just don't care for.

But about a year ago I started watching this show:


It's funny, it's got Aziz Ansari. But even better is that title track that starts it off. The band? Death From Above 1979.



My Canadian friend Michelle spent years telling me I'd like this band, but I never got around to listening to them. But as soon as I started watching Human Giant, I was hooked. DFA 1979 really hasn't left my MP3 player since that day. It's just 2 guys: a bass guitar and a drummer, but the hooks and riffs the write are just noisy and danceable, my kind of music.

They broke up a long time ago, but only reformed this year, which saw their first show end in a riot.

So hang on, what's this got to do with Parklife, a music festival I hate? They're playing probably their only Australian shows there. Goddamn it. I want to see them so badly, but I don't want to pay what I'm going to guess is $150+ to see one band I'd kill to see. Of course there's other bands, they are:
Gossip
Lykke Li
Santigold
Death From Above 1979
Duck Sauce
Katy B
The Naked & Famous
Crystal Fighters
Example
Digitalism
Adrian Lux
The Streets
Simian Mobile Disco
Magnetic Man
Nero
SebastiAn
Diplo
Mstrkrft
Sebastien Tellier
Little Dragon
Gold Fields
Mylo
Wolfgang Gartner
Joker & MC Nomad
Feed Me
Tensnake
Kimbra
The Aston Shuffle
Flux Pavilion
Yacht Club DJs
Harvard Bass
There's a few in their I'd want to see, especially the Streets, who will be breaking up after this tour of their last album. But, not bagging on the genre, it's just not really my scene... But... DFA 1979. GYAH.

It's all going down October 1 at the Riverstage.

No comments:

Post a Comment