Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Review: The Beards, The Good Ship, The Stiffys. The Zoo, March 30 2012

On Friday night I packed up, camera in hand and headed to the Zoo to see the kings of beard-parody bands: the Beards. Last time they came up they played Rics, so it's a huge step up in the world to be playing a sold out crowd at the Zoo. I'd been hearing them for months on ABC AM radio as well, so I guess I must've missed the memo when they became a "serious" band.

But that night was anything but serious. First up was the Stiffys. They encouraged us to drink. A lot:


There were two members to the band: a drummer and a bass player. Dressed as slightly permiscuous sailors. And you'll never guess what every song was about. Penises. I guess the name gave that away. 


They even had a song about how sexy Ranger Stacey was. It really appealed to me as a 12 year old. Musically, they can best be described as DFA 1979 singing about penises. It was fast beats with some good bass playing, in a bit of a dancey way.

The next band, the Good Ship, didn't give away too much from their title. At least I thought not.



But after the 7-odd strong band came out with their plethora of instruments and started playing comedic sea-shanties, well... I figured out the title did some them up pretty well.



You may not know this about me, but I am a man who really loves his sea shanties. I really do. So I enjoyed the crap out of their set, especially their rousing rendition of "What do we do with the drunken sailor" at the end. They have an album launch at the Beetle Bar on April 20. I'd strongly recommend you go see them if you want to have a great time.

At this point in the night, girls were coming up to me and stroking my beard. It was a weird experience, but I guess they were here for that reason. And the Beards did not fail to disappoint. Especially considering the lead singer rocked a beard and a key-tar. A greater combination of awesome I've yet to see.


There was a lot of beer and a lot of songs about Beards. And a lot of chit-chat. All about Beards. For a single joke, it really never stopped being funny the whole night.


It was really hard to take the gig seriously, but that was what was great about it. It was just a fun night all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment