Sunday, October 2, 2011

Big Day Out first announcement: as it happened

For 2012's Big Day Out, the promoters took a leaf from the Soundwave festival school of promotion: they leaked the artists one at a time over Twitter. However, unlike Soundwave, they did it over 2 nights, instead of just whenever they hell the feel like it for months at a time. And now, here's the list, with my initial reactions as I sat at my computer:

But before we start, let us not forget what you will see a lot of during your day if you do decide to go: bad patriotism tattoos.


Why yes, that is the map of Australia. And yes, the interior is the Australian flag over a bunch of $100 bills. And yes, apparently Tasmania isn't part of Australia. (I took this picture during Matt and Kim this year. Couldn't stop laughing).

Anyway, the first announcement, with my reactions:
  • Best Coast "huh.. first band announced, and I'll probably want to see them. This could be a good year... maybe..."
  • Foster the People "Triple J listener's cliche band of the moment at the festival."
  • Cage the Elephant "Yes, I'll see them. They're good and a lot of people won't see them! They'll be on a side stage outside of the crowds"
  • The Getaway Plan "Christ I saw this band like 100 times in 2004-2008. Pass"
  • Girl Talk "An artist that will get me to the boiler room this year!"
  • Frenzal Rhomb "Already seen them twice in the last year, they must be desperate for money now!"
  • OFWGKTA "Weren't they here a few months back? Probably still trying to cash in their short-lived earning potential. Don't want to see them though"
  • The Jezabels "They are becoming one of those Australian bands that play every festival now!"
  • Battles "YES! Highlight of a Big Day Out a few years ago... But are they as good without their old frontman now?"
  • Architecture in Helsinki "They wrapped up a tour only a few days ago. Back on it already?!"
  • Mariachi El Bronx "OH HELL YES. I hope that means the Bronx does a sideshow too!"
  • Parkway Drive "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA"
  • Boy And Bear "More Australian music content filler. Should not be as high up over some of these great overseas bands"
  • Hilltop Hoods "well it's not a Big Day Out unless the Hilltop Hoods play... is it?"
  • Royskopp "Was not expecting this... More of a V-Fest or Laneway band, but could be excellent late in the afternoon"
  • The Living End "It's not an Australian music festival unless they play it"
  • My Chemical Romance "They've never been the same since their first album. Glad I saw them in lots of small club shows when I was younger"
  • Kasabian "ohhhhhhhhhhh yes. Excellent festival band"
  • Soundgarden "wait.. Back up. WHAT?! They're back together? HECK YES"
  • Kanye West "not a logical choice. He was too expensive for Splendour (yet still played it) and they didn't even get close to selling out. Just gives me a reason to leave early"

So will I go? At the start it was a definite no. Now it's a maybe. Soundgarden together again will probably be the one band that tips me over the edge into "fuck it, I'm going." But we'll wait for the second announcement.

January 22. Gold Coast Parklands

No comments:

Post a Comment