Thursday, March 15, 2012

Mass tours update, the March edition

My blogging has been slack! Sorry! But hopefully you've checked out all the photography I did and my massive 2011 album review. I haven't been slack. And as much as I hate doing this, I'm about to spam you with a tonne of upcoming gigs that I just don't have the time to dedicate to individual posts.

Velociraptor Australia tour
First I'll start with one of the best garage rock bands in our fair town right now. Consisting of, at times, up to 13 members, of course it's Velociraptor.


They're packing their bags and heading around Australia but their home show will be March 23 at Alhambra. If you don't know these guys yet, you're really sleeping on your Brisbane music cred.

Fu Manchu
When I was all of about 15, my mum bought me a random mix CD entitled "The Hard + the Heavy". I fell in love with it and found a lot of bands I'm still obsessed with today on it (especially Ministry). The first song I ever heard of Fu Manchu was this one:

Needless to say, they are one of those bands I still like. Apparently it's been over 10 years since they've been to this country, but they are coming down and doing that old tour gimmick thing of playing one of their albums in full. For this tour, it'll be the stoner rock classic from 1997  The Action Is Go.

May 4. HiFi

Brian Jonestown Massacre/Raveonettes
Now this could be the indie sideshow of the year. The band probably best known for being the nemesis of the Dandy Warhols coming out with the Dutch two piece the Raveonettes. I'm already getting my hipster self psyched up.

I doubt they'll play this song, but I'll always love it.

May 24. HiFi.


Devildriver
Despite only being out here a few weeks back with his band of old, Coal Chamber, Dez is bringing his current band back, with less nu metal and more plain old metal.

May 4, Tivoli

Groovin' the Moo Sideshows
As I've already mentioned, this is probably the only festival in Australia where Brisbane gets quality sideshows. Possibly because the closest it gets to us is Townsville. There's two more sideshows announced in Brisbane for the festival.

Public Enemy, May 10, HiFi
Digitalism, May 9, Family

Orbital
One of the longest lasting and best known electronic groups has to be Orbital.

They will apparently be bringing out a large audiovisual show to go along with their music at the Tivoli on May 6.

Zola Jesus
Most people this year would know Zola Jesus for her vocals on the intro to the 2011 M83 album. This former opera singer however does her own thing with beautiful synth music.

Catch her June 1 at Alhambra.

No comments:

Post a Comment