Monday, March 5, 2012

2011: Best of songs

As I finish my last few album reviews for my best of 2011 album list and let the craziness of Soundwave and miss photography slowly dissipate, I think it's time to tell you what my favourite songs of 2011 were. In no particular order at all, except for when I wrote them down in my dodgy ass Windows Notepad file. I may write something about it, I may not. Just know that i love these songs.

Touche Amore - Home Away From Here


It's short, fast, hard and emotionally brutal, which at the time I got into this song was everything I felt. "It's just I have this problem that I want to be everywhere I'm not..."

Defeater - Empty Glass

Boris - Les Paul Custom '86


Multiple versions of this song came out this year, but there's something about the metal band doing stripped-back J-pop/electronica in this that just astounds me and makes me sing along, with words I don't understand.

The DC3 - I was the Guy in TISM


The Australian satire and wit! AHH!

Monument – Dot Dash/Bikeage/What a Wonderful Puddle


The album wasn't considered for my end of list because it was 50% covers. But what covers! Get it for free on their bandcamp.

My Morning Jacket - Holdin' On To Black Metal
 
 
The song's subject matter v. delivery. 

Yuck - Georgia
 
 
Rekindled my love affair with Brit-rock, even with a bit of a Cure riff rip-off.

Andrew Jackson Jihad - The Michael Jordan of Drunk Driving
 
 
Short. Quirky. Original.

Wilco - One Sunday Morning (Song for Jane Smiley's Boyfriend)
 
 
It may be a tad bit long for some people, but it is the perfect song to listen to while lying in bed on a Sunday morning. And that riff! My god, it's repetitive, but it's catchy.

The Smith St Band - I Ain't Safe
 
Thrice - Listen Through Me
 

The Hotel Year - Weathered
 

 
La Dispute - King Park
 
 
The subject matter alone. Christ. Try listening to this without getting goosebumps or crying.

The Wonder Years - Came Out Swinging
 
 
A great start to my favourite pop-punk album of the last 5 years. And it's not about lost love, but something I understand. Missing the youth of growing up in the burbs of Chicago (or near enough in the case of me up the road).

Joyce Manner - Constant Headache
 
 
This album was good, but not great. Yet I kept looking to it. And this song would always be the first one I listened to.

The Dear Hunter - We've Got a Score to Settle
 
Mastodon - Curl of the Burl


It was nigh on impossible to pick just one song from this album to be in this list, but this one had an "official" music video.

No comments:

Post a Comment