Monday, December 26, 2011

Sublime (with Rome)

To me, Sublime was the soundtrack of my mid-teens, spent lounging around with my birthday buddy Tom, taking our guitars everywhere just playing music and wasting time. To this day, their reggae-ska-punk sound is my perfect summer album.


Of course, the whole Bradley Nowell death thing (RIP) happened before my time, so I never got to see them live. Over the last few years the rest of the band (who are extremely musically-gifted) have formed with a new lead singer (named Rome) to live out the Sublime legend, as well as record a new album, under the name of Sublime With Rome.

I understand what they are doing and it's still pretty good. But it will just never be the same as the original Sublime. Bradley Nowell is just one of those enigmatic people whose struggles and outlook on live is what made the music.

That being said, the new reincarnation of Sublime will be coming to Australia (for the first time in any form of the band) and it will be the only opportunity I will ever get to see these songs live.

April 5, HiFi, 18+

No comments:

Post a Comment